The MUSEUM of KRETINGA
- THE MOST VALUABLE MATERIAL and spiritual cultural treasures of Kretinga and the
surrounding areas are preserved in the museum of Kretinga.
- The museum was founded in 1935 by the initiative of a school inspector Juozas Žilvitis.
- At the beginning, the main fund was made up of the founders personal
- The first exhibition was held in July 12, 1935.
- For a long time the museum was located in a small one-storeyed house.
- In 1977 the largest and most complete exhibition was opened in the newly restored early
XVII century architectural monumentthe Franciscan monastery building.
- In 1992 the museum was moved to the count Tiškevičius estate in Kretinga, which was
built in the XIX century.
- In the fifty years of its existence some 36,700 exhibits were collected. Curators I.
Jablonskis and J. Mickevičius were especially involved in the preservation of our
countrys cultural inheritance.
- The museum in Kretinga is located near such mayor tourist centers as Klaipėda and
Palanga. Travellers always have a possibility to visit this historical estate. In the
glass-enclosed premises, exotic plants from all over the world grow and blossom, in the
halls throughout. The estates interior has been fully restored. Visitors can see unique
archeological finds , old wooden sculpture and paintings.
- The XIXXX century park surrounding the estate was known as one of the most beautiful
parks in western Lithuania. It is visited by a lot of visitors.
- The romantic traveller will have a chance to walk among hundred-years-old oaks or
limetree and chestnut alleys, to go for a walk around the lake, and to ponder by the Stone
- In the winter garden, there is a bar called Pas Grafą. Its unique environement,
music, flowing cascades leave an ever lasting impression.
- The administration of the museum is doing everything to bring back the previous beauty
of the estate and the park in Kretinga.
Some displays from the Kretinga Museum